The garden, also known as the Cactus Garden, was designed for Jane and Leland Stanford by landscape architect Rudolf Ulrich between 1881 and 1883. During the early years of the university, the Cactus Garden became the meeting place for many courting Stanford students.
The McMurtry Building opened for classes in Fall 2015. Housed within 96,000 square feet of this academic building are programs in art practice, design, art history, film and media studies, and documentary film and video.
This garden contains 40 wood and stone carvings of people, animals, and magical beings that illustrate creation stories and cultural traditions. Ten artists from the inland Sepik River area created the sculptures on-site during a five-month visit in 1994.
The COVID Memorial Soundwalk is a walking route on the Stanford campus, accompanied by a specially selected playlist of music performed by Stanford faculty and student musicians. The walk starts at 1 University Ave in Palo Alto at the Stanford gate.