CA: Santa Monica - Beach Cleanup at Tower 20
09:30AM - 02:00PM
Join fellow Stanford alumni in the Beyond the Farm Santa Monica Beach Clean Up in partnership with Heal the Bay (http://www.healthebay.org/) and Granito de Arena (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Granito-de-Arena-Santa-Monica/225345490921341) to protect the ocean you love from pollution. The clean up will take place at Inkwell Beach.
Inkwell Beach was a segregated beach where African Americans gathered for decades during the Jim Crow era because they were not welcomed anywhere else. It also was the home base for pioneering African American surfer, Nick Gabaldon.
Registration: If you are a non-alum, please create a Stanford account as a guest to register.
- Clean up the beach
- Collect valuable data
- Learn about stormwater pollution
- Learn about conservation of coastal resources
- Learn about the history of Inkwell Beach
- Have fun
The clean up will end at 11:30 a.m. You are invited to stay for the activities.
This project welcomes children with parental supervision.
- Brown bag lunch; we will have light snacks
- Plenty of water – preferably in a reusable bottle
- Closed-toe shoes to protect your feet from anything sharp
- Garden gloves
- Sunscreen and a hat
- A pail or a bucket in which to pick up trash. Bags will be provided, but this will help us make the event more sustainable
- 9:30 a.m. - Arrive and register (you will be required to sign 3 liability releases)
- 10:00-10:30 a.m.- Intro: Environmental talk by Andres Rennella (Granito de Arena) and Sandy Shimooka (Heal the Bay)
- 10:30-11:30 a.m.- Beach Clean Up with coordinator Ana Luisa Ahem (Heal the Bay)
- 11:30-11:45 a.m. - Break
- 11:45-1:30 p.m. - Surf and stand up paddle demo/lunch or Santa Monica Aquarium visit/lunch
- 1:30-2:00 p.m. - Closing
Look for Stanford banners!
Parking Lot 4 South is at 2030 Ocean Ave Santa Monica, CA 90405. Please note parking is $10 on Saturdays. Parking is also available at meters, but please be aware of time so you don't get a ticket.