Looking for serenity, beauty or a heart-thumping workout, devotees of the Dish area have made it one of the region's most visited recreational sites. But it wasn't always so. A short history and loving tribute to the Farm's backcountry beacon.
He shepherded Stanford through its most turbulent period, taking on protesters while also embracing progressive causes. First as provost, then as president, Richard Lyman, who died in May at age 88, was the right leader at the right time.
Tanya Luhrmann spent years observing and interviewing evangelical Christians who profess personal encounters with God. What she learned sheds new light on what happens to the faithful during prayer.
Stanford-affiliated athletes have won medals at every Summer Olympics since 1912. Here is a timeline of weird, wild and inspiring performances.
- 1924 PARIS: Ragtag Rugby Lot Takes Down French
- 1948 LONDON: Fresno Teenager Best in the World
- 1964 TOKYO: Surgery-Bound Swimmer to Docs: "I Want to Race"
- 1992 BARCELONA: One Last Try to Win the 'Fly
- 1984 LOS ANGELES: Injury Robs Golden Chance
- 1996 ATLANTA: Women's Soccer Steals the Show
- 1996 ATLANTA: Stuck in Our Memory
- 2000 SYDNEY: OMG! A Shocker from Down Under
New insights on growing old
The future of a co-op residence
On stage this summer
Farming the Farm
Plenty of energy to go around
A Fuller picture of invention
Bowlsby's parting words
Nicotine buzz without the burn
A (ka)booming business
If garbage could talk
Roger Furst, '56
Jim Lloyd, '58
Keep up with the Cardinal in London.
- 2012 STANFORD OLYMPIC ROSTER
- All Business: Rower David Banks
- Goal, Gold: Soccer's Rachel Buehler
- Doubling Down: Tennis Players Mike and Bob Bryan
- Get Faster: Rower Jake Cornelius
- 'Beyond Unthinkable': Kenyan swimmer Jason Dunford
- Grappling for Gold: Wrestler Matt Gentry
- Redemption in 26.2 Miles: Marathoner Ryan Hall
- Twister: Diver Kristian Ipsen
- America's Hope: Synchronized swimmer Mariya Koroleva
- Hurdles Cleared: Hurdler Amaechi Morton
- The Comeback Canadian: Swimmer Tobias Oriwol
- Defending the Kiwis: Soccer's Ali Riley
- From the Pool to Ethiopia: Austrian Swimmer Markus Rogan
- Power Player: Water Polo's Jessica Steffens
- Flying to London: Pole Vaulter Katerina Stefanidi
- The Fighter: Gymnast Kristina Vaculik
- Always in the Pool: Water Polo's Peter Varellas
- 'So Far From Done': Beach Volleyball's Kerri Walsh
- "It's Go Time": Diver Cassidy Krug
The Effort Effect
Let Me Introduce Myself
Seeing at the Speed of Sound
Dunder Mifflin Going Out of Business
Data is from the past two weeks.