Facelift for an Octogenarian
Hoover Pavilion's Art Deco embellishments shine through.
Linda A. Cicero
The six-story building known since 1965 as Hoover Pavilion triggers the most foundational associations
possible for many people: It's where they were born, or where their children were, when it was Palo Alto Hospital.
Much of what they remember about the edifice has now been meticulously preserved, thanks to a $50-million renovation that refocuses a spotlight on architecture perhaps best described as Art Deco with Egyptian influence.
Located at Palo and Quarry roads and opened by Palo Alto in 1931 on land leased from the University, the facility was expanded with a perpendicular wing in 1939. At inception, notes University archaeoleogist Laura Jones, it was the city's skyscraper. The hospital closed in 1959, and the University converted the complex to other uses. Today it includes clinics, offices and the main Stanford Health Library.
The project architect was the firm Tom Eliot Fisch; the consulting historic architect was Page & Turnbull.
- Be the first one to add a comment. You must log in to comment.